Thursday, March 03, 2005

Yay #coders and #3dmax

Yay!

Good that I sticked with IRC :) People on #coders are very helpfull, lots of expierienced coders, some with GL knowledge, lots of people with generic realtime 3d knowlege, and everybody very keen to help. Good to know some demosceners :P

Special greets go to ryg of farbraush and kusma for recent help.
After yesterdays night debate/tutor with ryg and todays tutor with kusma I've decided that the whole texturing system needs rewrting.

Currently I export one sector with its pre-baked texture of the same name. So i have model.n3d and model.bmp. Then i just load it into my engine and voila! But as you can see the results are very weak.

My new approach, suggested by meh gurus will be reusing the texture maps (like regular texturing in max) and making only lightmaps unique. This approach will let me to achieve good texture quality on the object, and the GI lighting from Vray. I think im gonna use 512 or 1024 textures for lightmaps for optimal quality. Generally lightmaps do not need that much, but I want to test it myself :)

So now I need to rewrite my exporter (goddamn maxscript, i hate you). And importer in nIO.h class.
While im at it, kusma pointed out that my vertex consolidation for glDrawArrays is a wrong approach, and i should leave the face-index array and use only indexes. I also need to implement two UV sets and two matID sets into the file format so i can multitexture everything.

Gues I'll just sit to coding now and post later what i came up with ;]

Special thanks for TJViking and utek from #3dmax for their max/vray/3d meritoric help :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your project, i'd like to see some screens when you've solved the texturing problems. keep up the good work ;]

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home